Ensuring a Fun and Safe Summer Holiday for Your Family
Summer holidays are here, and many families are eagerly planning trips away with their toddlers and babies. While the excitement builds for these funfilled summer days, it’s essential to keep your family’s safety in mind. Here are some top tips to ensure your little ones stay safe while you travel this holiday season.
Keep Sleep Time Safe:
- Properly Set Up Portacots: If using a portacot for your little one, ensure it is set up correctly and safe for sleeping. Avoid adding blankets to the bottom, and opt for a flat and firm surface for a safer sleep environment.
- Bed Guards for Toddlers: If your toddler is sleeping in a bed, bring a bed guard to prevent accidental falls during the night.
- Check Airflow: Verify if there is a fan or air conditioner in the bedrooms. Good airflow is crucial for safe and comfortable sleep during warm summer nights.
Ensure Common Spaces Are Safe:
- Use Stair Barriers or Gates: Bring or hire your own stair barriers or gates if needed to block off certain areas and keep your little explorers safe.
- Scan for Choking Hazards: Before settling into the accommodation, scan the room for small objects that could pose a choking hazard to your curious little ones.
- Secure Items within Reach: Remove items within reach that can be pulled down or broken, including knife blocks, cleaning products, and other potential hazards.
Protect Their Skin:
- Cover Up: Keep your children protected from the sun by dressing them in rashies, hats, and sunglasses. Always have spare items handy in case of spills or accidents.
- Sunscreen: For babies over 6 months, apply baby-safe sunscreen and follow “slip, slop, slap” to shield their delicate skin from harmful UV rays.
- Shaded Areas: Ensure accessible shade is available, whether it’s an umbrella, shade tent, or an undercover area, to provide a cool retreat from the sun’s rays.
- Pool Safety: If your accommodation has a pool, check if it has a pool gate that complies with Australian safety standards.
- Floatation Devices: Use floatation devices that are safe and appropriate for babies and toddlers to ensure their safety near water.
- Supervise Always: Never leave your children unattended near water, and keep a watchful eye on them at all times.
Out and About:
- Hygiene Essentials: Be prepared with a good supply of wet wipes and hand sanitizer, as babies and toddlers love to explore and can get messy.
- Emergency Information: Have phone numbers and locations of the local doctor and hospital handy in case of any emergencies.
- First Aid Kit: Bring a first aid kit with the essentials to handle minor injuries or mishaps during your adventures.
By following these simple yet effective safety tips, you can enjoy a worry-free summer holiday with your family. Prioritising your little one’s safety will ensure a fun and memorable vacation, allowing you to create lasting memories and cherish the moments spent together. Travel safely and have a fantastic summer holiday!